Summer 2022 and Safety
Summer 2022 and Safety
8 Practical safety tips for protection from crime during the holidays. Summer is a holiday season. This means being away from home and unfortunately this increases the risk of door burglary.
Increased crime threatens to disrupt the holiday season. It is a nightmare to return to a house that has been broken into by criminals and whose sense of security and privacy has been violated. Also, summer vacations show other risks of victimization related to the way we travel, have fun, etc.
The following practical tips are recommendations that can minimize the chances of victimization so that the summer leaves only positive memories.
Regarding the safety of the house during the holidays:
1. If all family members are to be away from home for a long time, be careful not to disclose it directly or indirectly. This means: you do not change the voicemail message at home to indicate your absence. In fact, you can use telephone diversion services, so that anyone who maliciously tries to check if you are not home to take advantage of your absence, can not do so easily.
We live in the age of social networking pages that announce at the initiative of the user his various occupations, where he is, and what he does. But it is better to keep to yourself that you have gone on vacation, where you are, and how much you will miss.
You can easily post your holiday photos and express your admiration for your beautiful experiences after you return. Not everyone needs to know that you are not home, especially when most of the time, many of the people you socialize with online are actually strangers.
2. If your relationship is good with other people who live in the same building or neighborhood, etc., and will not be absent for the same period, arrange to pass at regular intervals and take a look if everything is okay.
Also, ask them to pick up your mail so that a stack of accounts and letters is not picked up and it becomes apparent that you are missing out.
3. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, no security measure can guarantee that criminals will not take active action against a target of their choice. That’s why there is always the possibility of finding burglars in your home even when you return home.
In such an unfortunate circumstance, remember that it is better to let the burglars escape than to clash with them trying to catch them.
Also, no matter how valuable the items of your home and your property are, it is not worth risking the physical security and life of yourself and your family. Especially if the criminals are armed, determined, and very violent. It is better to let them go, even with the loot.
The first concern is to keep you and your family safe. This practically translates as follows: if you return and find the security door of the house broken, do not even enter.
You do not know if the burglars are still inside and what their intentions are. Move away, take refuge in a safe place, and call the authorities immediately. The police are properly trained to deal with crime and have a monopoly on the use of force as a public authority.
Reminder: In Greece (as in the US) the right to use unlimited force to protect domestic asylum does not apply. And unfortunately often people who tried to defend their home, family and even their lives from burglars were found accused of overreacting.
4. On holiday safety, especially for those traveling alone, or for young people taking a vacation for the first time without parental supervision:
5. The habit of hitchhiking is dangerous both for the physical integrity of the person seeking transportation by an unknown vehicle and for the driver and passengers. You must not board the vehicles of people you do not know, nor do you board strangers in your vehicle.
Even if you do not fall victim to a crime, you may inadvertently engage in legal adventures (e.g if the stranger you boarded is illegal, especially if he or she has entered the country in violation of applicable law).
Of course, the above does not mean indifference in case someone asks you for help on the road. Instead of confronting yourself as the Levite of the parable, you can help in a smart, responsible, and meaningful way that will not put you in danger.
Unless it is an emergency-injury-fatal danger that requires immediate physical intervention to prevent it, stay in the vehicle.
Keep the doors locked. Call immediately and without delay with your mobile phone the appropriate body, or the competent authorities to intervene and help, explaining calmly and in detail what is happening. You can even stay – always in the vehicle and with the doors locked – until the right help arrives.
This way you will not leave your fellow human being alone on the road (who even psychologically needs someone’s presence) and at the same time you will protect your safety from someone you do not know if he really needs or is trying to get you out of the vehicle with malicious intent.
Unfortunately, they have recorded cases of criminals who appear e.g. as in need of roadside assistance and then violently rob or abuse the good Samaritans who got out of their vehicles to help. Show altruism and self-sacrifice with distinction, where appropriate.
6. Lonely trips are very interesting, but if you travel alone, you do not need to tell every stranger who approaches you. It is better to let it be understood that you are on vacation with friends and just at that moment you have – for a while only – been away from your friends who know where you are and will soon look for you.
It is a good idea to give your mobile phone before you start your vacation, and to talk about your travel plan with a friend or family member. You agree that if you do not contact him within a certain time frame, he should look for you and notify the authorities, relatives, etc.
When you go swimming on the beach always make sure you have a sum of money hidden inside a plastic wrap sewn to the swimsuit. All you need is a banknote that will allow you the basics in case your personal belongings, clothes, cell phone, wallet are stolen. This way you will be able to return to the hotel and calmly deal with the unpleasant event.
7. For those who travel alone, as well as for those who travel with friends but for the first time without parental supervision, care and moderation are required during the fun.
Drunkenness not only harms your health and aesthetics, it is also dangerous for your safety. Under the influence of alcohol the resistances bend easily and you may perform actions unprecedented for your temperament, but you may also become a victim.
In entertainment venues do not leave your drink unattended and pay attention to its appearance. If it is cloudy, do not drink it and order another one (you may have dropped some substance, pills, powder, ash, etc.).
8. If you have a problem (e.g headache) and need analgesic pills, go to the pharmacy. Do not take pills from others (strangers, but even friends).
Summer is a period of rest and gathering strength for the winter that will come full of tasks and obligations again. Everyone wants to relax and enjoy a short break from the workload and the city environment. Yet no season or period of time, no place is completely free of unexpected, sometimes sometimes unpleasant events. That’s why it’s good to take action not with anxiety, but with mind.
The carefree nature of the holidays does not preclude you from observing what common sense dictates. Of course, no advice and no measures can guarantee the prevention of criminal acts and complete security and protection. This is not guaranteed on a human level. Paraphrasing the prophet, it is true in every case that “if the Lord did not guard, in vain did the guard watch.”