How to Install an Interior Door (with Video)
Inside doorway installation can be complicated, it includes exact measurements and some carpentry. It may well be a great strategy to get the job done with a qualified when you do this. Having said that, if you have the competencies, applications, and time, in this article are the methods to take to incorporate a pre-hung door to your dwelling.
How to Install a Prehung Doorway in 17 Ways
- Use a amount to come across a amount place on the tough opening. Mark places on both equally sides of opening with a pencil.
- Evaluate down to the floor on the hinge aspect working with measuring tape, and note the measurement.
- Measure down to the ground on the striker aspect, and observe the measurement.
- Hook the measuring tape on the base of the doorway on the hinge aspect, then measure and mark the peak observed earlier.
- Measure from your mark to the major of the header, then measure that exact same distance on the striker aspect to be certain the header will be stage.
- Hook the measuring tape less than the striker-facet jamb and measure up. The variance amongst the measurement from the rough opening to the mark on the doorjamb is the amount that will have to have to be cut out of the jamb (dependent on the door, 1 or each jambs may perhaps want to be cut).
- Use a round observed to cut the jamb(s) to the ideal lengths.
- Use a degree to guarantee the tough opening is plumb on the hinge aspect. If not, nail an proper range of shims into the tough opening to make it plumb.
- Transfer the door in location and preserve it flush with the outer wall.
- Pre-drill a hole and drive in a screw at the best on the hinge aspect.
- Check out the jamb to see if it is plumb making use of a amount.
- Complete screwing in the hinge-facet jamb making use of a driver.
- Line up the two reference traces on the striker-aspect jamb.
- Use shims down the hinge-side jamb to level it off, and push in screws with a driver.
- Crack off the shims.
- Place on trim making use of a nail gun or hammer.
- Install door-knob components.