How to Get Rid of Grease Stains
Don’t let those grease and oil stains on your cement or concrete floor just sit there. It’s easy to remove them, according to the folks at the Michigan State University Extension. The extension offers this advice:
Steps for Removing Grease Stains
Step 1: Sop up any wet areas
- Apply cornmeal or sawdust (this is especially important immediately after a spill)
- Leave it on the stain for three hours and sweep up.
- Then, use one of these methods to remove the stain:
Step 2: Sprinkle dry dishwasher detergent on wet concrete
- Let it stand a few minutes and then pour boiling water on the area.
- Scrub and rinse.
Step 3: Scrub the stain with a stiff brush and concentrated laundry detergent
- Rinse well with a hose.
- Let dry, and repeat if necessary.
Step 4: Sprinkle on trisodium phosphate (TSP)
- Allow it to stand 15 to 30 minutes.
- Then scrub with a stiff brush and hot water.
- Rinse with clean water.
- If you use trisodium phosphate, ventilate the area well, and use rubber gloves to avoid skin contact. Wash thoroughly after use.